This is a major milestone -- we've essentially de-obfuscated the WMD code, which was my #1 goal! A few thanks are in order:
- Chris Jester-Young for getting the ball rolling, doing quite a bit of de-obfuscation, and setting up the initial repository.
- Shawn for contributing versions and setting up a stack overflow "question" on this topic.
- Dana for doing the lion's share of the de-obfuscation work and getting us to that magical 1.0, completely de-obfuscated milestone.
Also, cbguder, dbr, and zacherates -- we appreciate you jumping in early as well. Hopefully you'll keep going and help us on the 1.0 stuff! It turns out Dana is a huge fan of fake plastic rock, just like me, so I was happy to reward him for his work with one of my customized Les Paul guitars:
(ok, it's not exactly this one, but it's very similar -- silver metallic instead of red metallic faceplate!) Now that we've gotten the painful de-obfuscation / un-minification out of the way, it's time to begin improving our WMD editor:
- Arrow keys don't work in Firefox 3 on questions/answer pages
- Make ctrl-delete work like a normal text editor (WMD keyboard shortcuts should be configurable and/or disable-able)
- Several Problems with international keyboards -- all related to keyboard shortcuts
- General WMD performance concerns. We believe WMD could do with some optimization, particularly for the "idle" case.
- I'd like to see us use CSS image sprites for the toolbar buttons rather than downloading 6-8 individual button graphics in 6-8 HTTP requests.