After 2.5 years of being almost unchanged, we decided it was high time the Users page got a redesign.
The old user page was fine, in a late 2008 sort of way, but it ultimately became a bit monotonous -- every time you viewed it, you'd see more or less the same list of top users. At least, on a mature site you would. And we don't think anyone was using those oldest, newest, and name tabs at all.
The new user page is much more ... dynamic. And hopefully more useful and interesting as a destination.
I opened a post on meta asking for design feedback and we incorporated a lot of that feedback into the revised Users directory page:
- We default to showing the users who gained the most reputation in the current week.
- You can switch to viewing month, quarter, year, or all time. All Time is the same as the old default users page view.
- We list the specific tags each user gained reputation for in that time frame.
- We show the location of users, if they have populated their location field -- we have a surprisingly diverse worldwide audience.
- Searches are "match anywhere" again, but the minimum match is now 3 characters. Also, you can only match users with more than 1 reputation on Stack Overflow due to the size of the user table.
This is partially inspired by the still-awesome Stack Exchange reputation leagues, and it is intended to complement them. Mostly we wanted to highlight and showcase the efforts of any active users, not just the all-time top users.
We also added a link to the leagues on your individual user page -- a dynamic link that indicates your current percentile ranking relative to your peers within the current week, month, quarter, or year.
Clicking through on this link will permalink you to your best current Stack Exchange reputation league rank.
Hopefully you'll agree, as we do, that this redesign makes the users page a lot more fun and useful than it was before. We have a few more tabs we want to add to the Users page, but haven't quite gotten to yet. So check it out, and feel free to propose new tabs or provide further feedback on meta.