Welcome to the Stack Overflow Podcast #101. Fact: We now have as many episodes as we have adorable Disney dalmatians. Today’s podcast is brought to you by the WordPress Development Stack Exchange.
Our very special guest today is Matt Mullenweg. Matt is the co-founder WordPress, which powers 27% of the internet, and the founder & CEO of Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, and Jetpack. And in addition to everything else he’s juggling, Matt recently helped migrate Joel On Software.
The gang also talks about…
- why we decided to make a slick new site navigation and color change. tl;dr we wanted to recycle all the white site nav pixels GitHub was just throwing away.
- how college students use Stack Overflow.
- what programming languages are used most on weekends.
- whether or not they’ll watch Apple’s first original content for Apple TV, “Planet of the Apps,” which appears to be a mix of Shark Tank, The Voice, and free App Store marketing.
- programmers racing to save climate data from being purged from government servers.
- Joel’s One Minute Tech Review of MRI machines. Short story: The acoustics are awful.
- Joel’s Rant about people – aka David Fullerton – using Slack to send baby pictures to coworkers.
Our Constitution gets another hotly debated ammendment this week: If you switch back and forth between Macintosh and Windows should you remap COMMAND to be ALT and vice versa? Pro = yes, you should, Con = no, you shouldn’t.
Post your answer to Twitter using the Hashtag #stackoverflowpodcast, with either PRO or CON and your explanation, short but juicy, in 140 characters. The best explanation, whether on the winning side or the losing side, will be read on next week’s podcast and win a fabulous STACK OVERFLOW STICKER courtesy of the Stack Overflow Podcast.
Also, you can submit your ideas for future constitutional amendments on Twitter using #StackOverflowPodcast, and one of them might be named after you.
Last time’s winner for the Constitutional question, “When driving with a friend, is it ok to ask that friend to get out and direct you while parallel parking?,” is @HaikusByIsaac:
I reach out for help
You guide me to safe landing
Social bonds are built
Thanks for listening! Now go follow us and share with your friends: