newsletter August 20, 2021

The Overflow #87: Advance your developer career by writing

Welcome to ISSUE #87 of the Overflow! This newsletter is by developers, for developers, written and curated by the Stack Overflow team and Cassidy Williams at Netlify. This week: we bought some weird domain names, found creative ways to kill flies, and designed a swanky initial drop caps using CSS. From the blog How writing can advance your…

Welcome to ISSUE #87 of the Overflow! This newsletter is by developers, for developers, written and curated by the Stack Overflow team and Cassidy Williams at Netlify. This week: we bought some weird domain names, found creative ways to kill flies, and designed a swanky initial drop caps using CSS.

From the blog

How writing can advance your career as a developer stackoverflow.blog
“In their first few years on the job, engineers spend roughly 30% of their workday writing, while engineers in middle management write for 50% to 70% of their day; those in senior management reportedly spend over 70% and as much as 95% of their day writing.” – Jon Leydens

The strange domain names that developers bought stackoverflow.blog
Not every domain is serious business. Here’s a few of the fun ones that we at Stack Overflow owned, as well as those owned by our community.

Podcast 365: Fake your own voice with AI, podcasting has never been easier stackoverflow.blog
We chat with Andrew Mason, CEO of Descript, about the future of AI-assisted content creation.

Continuous Testing DevOps Workshop: Register Now  promotion
Join this workshop from AWS and the DevOps Institute to learn how to implement continuous testing to shorten test cycles, increase code quality, and deliver better features faster.

Interesting questions

Two-thirds of my class colluded. Should I report them to the academic offences committee? academia.stackexchange.com
Feeling left out?

Is there any way to kill a fly without a flyswatter? lifehacks.stackexchange.com
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly; more squeamish folks should check here for less culinary techniques.

Does gravity get stronger the higher up you are on a mountain? physics.stackexchange.com
Understanding gravity sometimes feels like climbing Everest.

Cracking RSA (or other algorithms) manually by a savant crypto.stackexchange.com
We only use 10% of our brains; the other 90% is installing Windows updates.

HTTP/3 From A To Z: Core Concepts (Part 1) www.smashingmagazine.com
Why would you use HTTP/3? Should you? Learn what you need to know in this detailed post!

Print media style drop caps using only CSS www.amitmerchant.com
If you like that one Spongebob episode where his entire essay is just the word “The” with an ornate, drop-capped T, then this article is for you!

How we design our APIs at Slack slack.engineering
These API design guidelines are great if you’re figuring out how you might want to make an API that can scale!

Enjoying legacy – modern Java in Android apps dev.to
Even though many Android apps have moved to use Kotlin under the hood, Java is still incredibly prevalent, and it’s important to write it in a modern way.

Onboard, organize, and bring your team up to speed in a jiffy. Try Stack Overflow for Teams.

Tags: ,
Podcast logo The Stack Overflow Podcast is a weekly conversation about working in software development, learning to code, and the art and culture of computer programming.

Related

The Overflow Newsletter Banner
newsletter July 16, 2021

The Overflow #82: Best practices for comments

Welcome to ISSUE #82 of the Overflow! This newsletter is by developers, for developers, written and curated by the Stack Overflow team and Cassidy Williams at Netlify. This week: why you should mentor others, does GPL apply to neural network models, and hacking the React AST. From the blog Best practices for writing code comments stackoverflow.blogWhile there are many…